Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Grammy Nominations

No real surprises here this year. Though I am glad to see Prince was nominated for "Musicology." While Musicology is a really good album, it isn't as good as his 2001 album "The Rainbow Children" which went completely ignored. I guess people couldn't get past the religious psychobabble. I've never put any stock into award shows. Awards are always subjective and really it's driven by a mixture of timing, marketing and what the tastes of the masses at the moment, which is usually in a constant flux. I wonder if I'll ever have all three forces on my side there.

I'm glad that Kanye West and Alicia Keys got a shitload of nominations, they deserved em. I think Usher is good, but way overrated, IMHO anyway.

If you haven't seem em yet, here's the list:

Nominations in top categories for the 47th annual Grammy Awards, announced Tuesday:

Record of the Year: "Let's Get It Started," The Black Eyed Peas; "Here We Go Again," Ray Charles and Norah Jones (news); "American Idiot," Green Day; "Heaven," Los Lonely Boys; "Yeah!" Usher featuring Lil Jon and Ludacris.
Album of the Year: "Genius Loves Company," Ray Charles and Various Artists; "American Idiot," Green Day; "The Diary of Alicia Keys," Alicia Keys; "Confessions," Usher; "The College Dropout," Kanye West.
Song of the Year: "Daughters," John Mayer (news) (John Mayer); "If I Ain't Got You," Alicia Keys (Alicia Keys); "Jesus Walks," C. Smith and Kanye West (Kanye West); "Live Like You Were Dying," Tim Nichols and Craig Wiseman (Tim McGraw); "The Reason," Daniel Estrin and Douglas Robb (Hoobastank).
New Artist: Los Lonely Boys; Maroon 5; Joss Stone; Kanye West; Gretchen Wilson.
Pop Vocal Album: "Genius Loves Company," Ray Charles and Various Artists; "Feels Like Home," Norah Jones; "Afterglow," Sarah McLachlan (news); "Mind, Body and Soul," Joss Stone; "Brian Wilson Presents Smile," Brian Wilson.
Rock Album: "The Delivery Man," Elvis Costello (news) and the Imposters; "American Idiot," Green Day; "The Reason," Hoobastank; "Hot Fuss," the Killers; "Contraband," Velvet Revolver.
R&B Album: "My Everything," Anita Baker; "I Can't Stop," Al Green; "The Diary of Alicia Keys," Alicia Keys; "Musicology," Prince; "Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Vol. 2," Jill Scott.
Rap Album: "To the 5 Boroughs," Beastie Boys; "The Black Album," Jay-Z; "The DEFinition," LL Cool J; "Suit," Nelly; "The College Dropout," Kanye West.
Country Album: "Van Lear Rose," Loretta Lynn; "Live Like You Were Dying," Tim McGraw; "Tambourine," Tift Merritt; "Be Here," Keith Urban; "Here for the Party," Gretchen Wilson.
Latin Pop Album: "Amar Sin Mentiras," Marc Anthony; "SinVerguenza," Bacilos; "Pau-latina," Paulina Rubio; "Diego Torres: MTV Unplugged," Diego Torres; "El Rock De Mi Pueblo," Carlos Vives.


As Prince once said:

I don't wanna be a poet cuz I don't wanna blow it. I don't care 2 win awards. All I wanna do is dance and music, sex, romance and try my best 2 never get bored!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home